Oh joy, you lost the admin password. Now what?
If the admin user is still defined, the simplest option is to change the password in the database to a known value. This requires that you have access to the MySQL database using phpMyAdmin.
“what, no hacking?”, I hear you say. No. Again, you need access to the MySQL database by using phpMyAdmin.
- Navigate to phpMyAdmin and select the database for the Joomla site in the left-hand drop-down list box. This will show the database tables on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the table “jos_users” in the list of tables.
- Click on the “Browse” button in the top toolbar.
- Find the user whose password you want to change and press the Edit icon for this row. A form will display that allows you to edit the password field.
- Copy the following value into the password field and press the Go button.
- At this point, the password should be changed to “secret”.
- Log in with this user and password and change the password of this user to a secure value.