From Heston Blumenthal’s In Search of Perfection, Season 1, Episode 4 named “Fish and Chips”.
- Buy floury potatoes with a dry content matter of around 22%. This is very hard to measure, so just see what you can get.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick(ish) and equal parts. Perhaps a centimetre thick.
- Wash the chips and place them in a pot with lightly salted water.
- Cook them on simmering. Simmer to as close as possible to breaking up. If they break up, you will have potato soup. You should be able to scoop them out, and they need to look a bit fluffy. Cooking time is somewhere between 10-15 minutes.
- Place the chips carefully on a cake rack and place the rack in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes. You want the moisture content to be as low as possible, and the dry air in a refrigerator helps greatly with that.
- The first fry is at 130C for about 5 minutes. The outside of the chip should get a bit of colour by then.
- Take the chips out, place them on the cake rack again and place the rack in the refrigerator for another 30-45 minutes.
- The second and last fry is at 190C for about 3-5 minutes. Look at the colour and test while frying the chips.