Fixing an issue with my Browning BL22 (Lever not closing)

After cleaning out my Browning BL22 and replacing some springs, I experienced an issue with the lever on a regular basis. I took it apart again, checked everything, only to have it re-appear again.

Then I noticed that a small plate in the roof of the rifle’s action housing had come loose. After some investigating, I deduced that this was a part that should not move around. Especially since I discovered that I could visibly see the plate when the issue occurred and by pushing it back, I could resume shooting. Another pointer was, that this particular part does not occur in any parts list.

The correct position of the plate
The plate itself, which does not appear in a parts list.

This is how it looks when the plate has moved then then causes a lockup:

So I decided to use some Loctite 242 to lock the plate in place and now time will have to tell whether this works or not.

Loading

Trying to fix a Koonlung K1S, a probably long-term project. [plus downloads]

The Koonlung K1S is a very nice dashcam, with GPS, emergency button and HD recording and everything is made quite small. The HD video has a bit of a low bit rate, but it’s still not bad.

That said, it became a piece of rubbish. No matter what kind of SD card is inserted, the software locks up and the whole device becomes useless.

The front side of the Koonlung K1S Dashcam
The Koonlung K1S Dashcam

I have tried all the versions of the firmware [⇓1]. I have tried to decompile the firmware [⇓2][⇓3]. Nothing worked, whatever I tried.

So the time has come to take the thing apart. It cannot be any more broken than it is now, so maybe it is a blown cap or something? It is not, by the first look. There seems to be a corroded button cell soldered onto the motherboard.

The close-up of what looks like a small button-cell battery
Hmmm, is this a corroded button cell?
Probably a corroded button-cell
This seems to be at least a problem.

Alright. So what model is it? It’s not like you can just take it out and read what’s stamped onto it. Luckily I have a reference sheet in my archive that can be helpful. Hooray for being a data hoarder? >_>

The diameter is 4.8mm and the height is 2.0mm. The height is somewhat debatable as everything is small and kinda hard to reach. According to my datasheet, there are two candidates as a replacement battery:

  1. 4.8 x 2.15 – 1.55V – Maxell model: SR421SW – Seiko SB-A6 – Citizen 280-77 – GP 348
  2. 4.8 x 1.65 – 1.55V – Maxell model: SR416SW – Seiko SB-A5 – Citizen 280-75 – GP 337

As I want to get the exact battery, I grabbed a mini caliper and measured 1.65mm. There we go. It will be a SR416SW or anything compatible.

€5,46 has been paid for a set of 10 batteries because it was impossible to buy just one and now it is time to get the battery out.

More progress updates later!


[1] K1S-R158-50417-MPHK1S-R179-50825K1S-R180-KPHK1S-R180-MPHK1S-R215-KPH
[2] k1s.bin_hlil – Type: Mapped, Platform: thumb2, Architecture: thumb2
[3] k1s.bin_hlil-arm7 – Type: Mapped, Platform: armv7, Architecture: armv7

Loading

I fixed my fuse in Debian 8

[root@conrad ~]# apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up fuse (2.9.3-15+deb8u3) ...
Creating fuse device...
/run/udev or .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev.  Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
chmod: cannot access '/dev/fuse': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package fuse (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 fuse
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have no idea why my fuse got bonked, but I simply made a folder named fuse in the dev folder and everything works as intended again.

Loading